Iowa Master Naturalists Board of Directors
Minutes of the April 17, 2019 Regular Monthly Board Meeting
12:00 noon, Fresh Deli, Alliant Energy Building, Cedar Rapids, IA
1) Roll Call
Adriane Moline Chair (present)
Justin Voss, Vice-Chair (present)
Sue Travis, Secretary (present)
Anita Hutton, Treasurer (present)
Alida Selim (present)
Ben Rowold (present)
Executive Director: Elisabeth Swain (present),
Advisors:Jean Prior (present), Letia Blanco, John Pearson, Tammy Wright, Lynette Seigley (present)
2) Minutes from the previous meeting – The recent minutes were posted on our website: https://iowamasternaturalists.org/Board-Minutes/ Older minutes are archived on the google drive in the folder called Board of Directors Meetings – if you need help finding this, contact Sue, Justin or Adriane. There was not a board meeting in February or March 2019.
3) Treasurer Reports – Anita reported the current account balances: $509 in savings, $5702 in checking, $0 in PayPal, for a total of $6211.
4) Executive Director Reports– Elisabeth
- – Many thanks to the following naturalists:
- Jean for donating 60 copies of Portrait of the Land, for providing the nature calendar at cost, and for her ongoing support of the IMN mission and organization
- Alida for organizing our EcoFest table and volunteers
- Sue for assisting at the first class of the Spring 2019 session
- Ben for assisting at Prairie Preview XXXVI
- Justin for his donation to IMN that was matched by Alliant
- – The spring 2019 course at Kent Park is March 18 – June 3, with 15 students. New speakers include Connie Mutel, who will lead a field trip at her property, and birding expert Don Ohde. New curriculum topics include foraging and climate change.
- – Potential new course locations: We might have a summer course in Dubuque, June 10 – August 26. Kaytlan Moeller, who completed the Minnesota Master Naturalists program, might want to lead future classes there. Justin mentioned that Stacey from Albia, who is an IMN graduate, might want to host an IMN course at Honey Creek
- – IMN often makes donations to organizations that host our classes, and to honor repeat speakers. Elisabeth would like to make new donations of $100 each to Indian Creek Nature Center and Wickiup Hill Nature, $300 to Friends of Kent Park, and $200 to the Iowa City Bird Club for nets, perhaps via a donation to Friends of Johnson County Conservation.
- – We discussed systems for tracking volunteer hours, perhaps raising funds for it with grants.
5) Round Table Nature Sharing – We each talked about our recent experiences in nature. Wildflowers have started blooming, including dutchmens breeches, the first bluebird eggs of the season were spotted in Kent Park, prairie burns are happening, Canada geese are staking out their territories, how to remove a dead squirrel from a tree hole, and someone has a new all-electric car!
6) Next Open Board Meeting– The next Board of Directors meeting will be Wednesday, May 22 in the Fresh Deli, Alliant Energy Building, 200 1st St SE, Cedar Rapids.
Sue M. Travis, Secretary, IMN Board of Directors
Iowa Master Naturalists, P.O. Box 5675, Coralville, IA 52241