Iowa Master Naturalists Board of Directors
Minutes of the May 24, 2021 Board Meeting
12:00 noon, Big Grove Brewery in Iowa City
1) Roll Call
Justin Voss, Chair (present)
Raia Lichen, Vice-Chair
Sue Travis, Secretary (present)
Anita Hutton, Treasurer (present)
Ben Rowold (present)
Executive Director: Elisabeth Swain (present)
Advisors: Jean Prior (present), Lynette Seigley, Alida Selim, Letia Blanco, John Pearson, Tammy Wright
2) Minutes from the previous meeting – The most recent minutes are on our website: https://iowamasternaturalists.org/Board-Minutes/ Older minutes are archived on the google drive in the folder called Board of Directors Meetings. Because of the pandemic, we haven’t met in person since February 2020, although we met online in January 2021.
3) Treasurer Reports – Anita reported the current account balances: $2009.10 in savings, $3097.44 in checking, $363.95 in PayPal, for a total of $5470.49. This is about $1470 higher than in January 2021. Elisabeth and Justin reported three donations of $100 each, including Justin’s . IMN recently donated $1500 to UI Wildlife Camps. This donation will permit ten children. who might not otherwise be able to afford the fee. to attend the weeklong camps.
4) Chair and Executive Director Reports and Other Discussion
- – The “Adopt A Highway” roadside clean-up on May 22 was a success. Almost a dozen dedicated volunteers collected about 400 lb of trash despite the mizzley rain. We then enjoyed lunch at the Millstream Brau Haus. Thanks to Justin for organizing this event.
- The bird banding event with Mark Bowman went well. A total of 17 IMN folks attended.
- Future events include a possible field trip to Hitaga Prairie in Linn County. Elisabeth also has been talking to John Pearson about a July field trip. Justin suggested that book club type of meetings might be a good activity during the winter months.
- A fall IMN training session is in the works! The session might include live and taped lectures, in-person nature-sharing and field trips. We discussed the pros and cons of in-person, online, and taped events, and talked about ways to include people in areas outside of Johnson and Linn counties.
5) Round Table Nature Sharing – We shared our recent experiences in nature. Justin described Dames Rocket (which is blooming now) vs. native phlox. Ben described an easy way to keep ants out of bluebird boxes – smear a layer of lithium grease around the pole and the ants don’t climb up, and amazingly, the ants that are already in the box find a way to get down with the eggs (jumping?) Anita has a busy hummingbird feeder, and she keeps ants out by hanging the feeder with a stretch of fishing line. Sue has been trying unsuccessfully to grow red sorrel from seed (for tea-making), then she discovered thousands of the plants flourishing in her yard. Jean has beautiful little bluestem in her yard, and she also noticed that a felled ash tree had a cavity that looked like it might have been a nesting site. Elisabeth revealed how and why a wild turkey’s gender can be determined by the shape of its poop – look it up to learn the amazing and graphic details!
8) Next Board Meeting – The next Board of Directors meeting will be Monday July 19, 2021 at a location to be announced.
Sue M. Travis, Secretary
IMN Board of Directors
5464 Lackender Ave SW
Riverside IA 52327