Iowa Master Naturalists Board of Directors
Minutes of the June 5, 2019 Regular Monthly Board Meeting
12:00 noon, Fresh Deli, Alliant Energy Building, Cedar Rapids, IA
1. Roll Call
Adriane Moline Chair (present)
Justin Voss, Vice-Chair (present)
Sue Travis, Secretary (absent)
Anita Hutton, Treasurer (present)
Alida Selim (absent)
Peter Ault (absent)
Ben Rowold (present)
Executive Director:Elisabeth Swain (present),
Advisors:Jean Prior (present), Letia Blanco (absent), John Pearson (absent), Tammy Wright (absent), Lynette Seigley (present
2. Ben was appointed Secretary, pro tem, in Sue’s absence.
3. Minutes from the previous meeting – The recent minutes were posted on our website: https://iowamasternaturalists.org/Board-Minutes/Older minutes are archived on the google drive in the folder called Board of Directors Meetings – if you need help finding this, contact Sue, Justin or Adriane.
4. Treasurer’s report:
- Anita reported the current account balances: $509.27 in savings, $4,141.25 in checking, $37.69 in PayPal, for a total of $4,688.21 cash on hand.
- Anita has put together some figures and will be working with Elisabeth and Adriane to draft a proposed budget.
- We received an extra $100.00 donation from Justin’s employer, Alliant Energy, because of the volunteer hours put in by Justin.
- There was a brief discussion about moving funds from checking to savings. Elisabeth suggested that we need to keep at least $1,000.00 in checking to cover current expenses.
5. Executive Director’s Report – Elisabeth
- The spring 2019 class was a success. Elisabeth showed some of the power point presentations created by students as part of their capstone projects. New speakers/ fieldtrip leaders for this class included Mark Bowman, bird unit, and Connie Mutel woodlands unit.
- The summer 2019 class is scheduled for June 10ththrough August 26 at Swiss Valley Nature Center near Dubuque.
- Elizabeth was authorized to upgrade and continue to use WordPress as our website host and to purchase the Track It Forward program to keep track of volunteer hours.
- Our printer is not working. If it can’t be repaired, we will need a new one. Four options were discussed, including outright purchase, seeking a grant, a Facebook fundraiser, and posting a wish list in hopes of getting a used printer donated to us.
- Elisabeth described her plans to add certain items to the class materials distributed to new students, including two guides developed by IMN students as their capstone projects. These include a Winter Tree ID book and Prairie Seed Harvester guide. These costs will be covered by the student application fee.
- We have been informed that one of our advisors to the board, Tammy Wright, will be stepping down as executive director of Bur Oak Land Trust, but will continue to work in fund raising and membership development for that organization.
- We have 7 board members. Our by-laws allow us to have 8. There was a brief discussion about potential candidates for the 8th position.
6. Nature Shares: Anita told us about the mother deer that has been hiding her fawn in Anita’s backyard. Adriane told us she found (and ate) her very first morel mushroom. Justin told us about strange crunching noises he has been hearing in his backyard (and it wasn’t Adriane). Ben said he walked through the Schwab-Burford property in Johnson County and reported on his bluebird boxes.
7. Next Open Board Meeting: The next Board of Directors meeting will be Wednesday, July 24, 2019, at the Fresh Deli, Alliant Energy Building, 200 1st St SE, Cedar Rapids.
Ben Rowold, Secretary, pro tem, IMN Board of Directors
Iowa Master Naturalists, P.O. Box 5675, Coralville, IA 52241